Passover to Pentecost -Out of Egypt – Things You Might Recognize Week 2 Day 2
As someone who is coming “out of Egypt” and has watched many others make their way or at least try I found the Biblical narrative amazingly helpful. Here are components of the trip that you might recognize:
- Good Influence – God will send someone (Moses and Aaron) that you will identify with. The message will be simple “God hears you and He is concerned for you.
- Bad Influence – A someone/thing will have a hold on you (Pharaoh). Frequently they are very demanding and possessive. You may not be sure why they have a hold on you, but it can be strong. It may be that in the beginning there was a good reason they were given that power over you. (Joseph and the famine)
- Stuck – A feeling of being stuck in the situation, and that you cannot change it. There is possibly an aspect of where you are that you really enjoy. You may have a feeling that you are needed; frequently you are being used to improve a situation. (Israel was building Pharaoh’s storage cities.)
- What Lies Ahead – You may look ahead and imagine all kind of things that you will give up or have to do. God only gave Israel two things they were responsible for before they left Egypt – Celebrate Passover ever year, and consecrate your first born male child to the Lord. The very thought of the journey may have been intimidating; they may have never been more than a mile or two from their houses.
- From bad to “Are you kidding me!” – When you first hear the Gospel, hope will rise up inside you. Then Pharaoh hardens his heart, and things around you start to fall apart (plagues). Three plagues happened to Israel and Egypt, but seven were only on Egypt. This may seem strange but the plagues were to show that Egyptian gods were no match for the Lord! Those three plagues may have been the ones the Israelites had strong ties with.
- Preparation – Jesus will take you as you are. I have seen these steps and components worked on later in the spiritual journey. Passover was a preparation time for Israel; things had to be done and plans had to be made before they were freed. I think it fair to say most people will count the cost (or some of them) before they go on the Jesus Journey. Oh, they made the preparations for the meal and then the miracle(s) happened.
- Finally on the journey – Reality will hit, but learn from what Israel did.
- It may take you a while to get to the next level of growth. It was fifty days to Mount Sinai and the Word.
- Expect new enemies, the Amalekites. They were a problem for Israel for centuries. (see the post on the Amalekites)
- Things will change. Israel ran out of the water and food they had brought with them. God showed up and showed off for them.
- Israel DID not ask God for supplies, instead they complained and blamed. I want to believe if Israel would have sought the Lord instead of complaining this story may have been written differently.
- Abraham and Sarah was the foreshadowing of all of this “going out of Egypt.” The story is in Genesis 12: 10 – 20 and it sounds very much like the story in Exodus.
- Joseph and His Brothers – The brothers experienced some of these conditions, while trying to take care of their families, before they brought Jacob/Israel into Egypt. (Genesis 42 – 44)
- Jacob did come out of Egypt but he was dead. (Think about that) Pharaoh did give him royal treatment and had him escorted to the burial cave.
- Two other people came out of Egypt. Jeroboam (1Kings 11: 26 – 40 and 12: 15 – 20) He was a stumbling block for Israel, but he choose that course when God had promised him something better. Jesus – Matthew 2: 19
- Moses left and came back. The first time he was a hunted man, the second time he left he was in charge of a million people. As leader Moses had his own set of problems and learning experiences. He also moaned and complained, but he learned and believed. He had to have Aaron to speak for him. Jethro’s visit was for Moses but it affected the people also.
- Israel did leave with things of Egypt, but that is tomorrows post.
IF YOU HAVE NOT STARTED THIS JOURNEY PLEASE SEE – FOLLOWING JESUS!