solid look at what the Church needs to be doing in the world today. Lately, when I have focused on a small block of time I have a lot of questions as to the content of the teachings and the miracles. But I come back to the fact that the Gospels were written by the Holy Spirit and just put on paper by men. So, try and look at these not as individual stories and events but as a unified collection of activities that are to show us more of how we should be living.
The hashtags and numbers refer to my attempt at a chronology order in The Triumphal Entry. (As a study this may not be super detailed as you would like so you make it your own, then let me know and the post may be edited.)
- Matthew 19:2 healed them (the crowd). Matthew list no other miracles other than the prediction of his death. #1,7. Matthew wrote for the Jewish reader. Since they usually demanded “signs” you would think he would have included more miracles.
- Ten Lepers #1. Luke was writing as a witness to a Gentile. One of the ten was a Samaritan.
- Lazarus #3,5,10,11 This is one of the miracles John uses to prove Jesus is the Messiah, He could defeat death.
- Bartimaeus #8 I do wonder if he became important to the Church in Jerusalem.
- Zacchaeus – knowing he was there and stopping #9 Jesus’ ministry was to Israel, no matter how hard they had become.
- Predicts His own death #7 This prediction was to prepare the disciples for Easter Sunday.
- #1,11,12,13,15 Large crowds with healings- Matthew 19:1, 20:29. John 11:41+42 miracles believing. Mark 10:1 taught them.
- #1,3,4,5 Pharisees, Caiaphas, and his prophecy
- #1,6 Little Children
- #6 Rich Young Man
- #6 Peter – “we have left everything”
- #7 The Twelve Disciples – predication of death
- Mother of Zebedee’s sons – James and John, the Ten (with Judas)
- #3,5,10,11 Lazarus, Mary (anointed Jesus with Nard), and Martha
- #8 Blind Men (Bartimaeus)
- #9 Zacchaeus
- #12 Two Disciples for the donkey (Peter and John?) We do not know which two disciples Jesus sent but these two as part of the inner circle would be a good guess.
- Receive the Kingdom like a little child
- End times/leaving and getting/Workers in the Vineyard. Luke 17:20 – 38 more in-depth
- Pray and the widow, Pharisee and the Tax Collector, Three Servants and Money (only Luke)
- Teaching about His death
- Who is great among you
Across the Jordan #2
Ephraim (only in John) #4, This is the name of Jospeh’s second son who was “made first son” by Israel.
Mark 10:10 has them in a house.
Bethphage and Bethany #3,5,10,11
Mount of Olives #12,13 The Mount is first called this in 2 Samuel 15:30 and Zechariah 14:4 connects it to Jesus’ Second Coming.