Faith, Hope, Love
1 Corinthians 13:13 And now these three remain faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Colossians 1:5 the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven and about which you have already heard in the true message of the gospel
1 Thessalonians 1:3 We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Thessalonians 5:8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.
- Faith has its definition and examples in Hebrews 11.
- Love has its descriptors in 1 Corinthians 13.
- Does Hope have a chapter or verse?
- Hope as defined in the 1828 Webster’s Dictionary is:
HOPE, noun [Latin cupio.]
- A desire of some good, accompanied with at least a slight expectation of obtaining it, or a belief that it is obtainable. hope differs from wish and desire in this, that it implies some expectation of obtaining the good desired or the possibility of possessing it. hope therefore always gives pleasure or joy; whereas wish and desire may produce or be accompanied with pain and anxiety.
- Confidence in a future event; the highest degree of well-founded expectation of good; as a hope founded on God’s gracious promises; a scriptural sense.
HOPE, verb intransitive To place confidence in; to trust in with the confident expectation of good.
A chapter or verse just for Hope – no. It’s not even a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22). Well, maybe there is one place but it is a stretch – 2 Peter 1:5-7(NIV) 5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your
- goodness; and to goodness,
- knowledge;6 and to knowledge,
- self-control; and to self-control,
- perseverance; and to perseverance,
- godliness;7 and to godliness,
- mutual affection; and to mutual affection, (early editions have brotherly kindness)
In defense of my thinking. No, those six things are not really in the definition of hope but you are not going to have hope if you do not have those qualities.
For more on the word HOPE (Just click, it is a previous post.)
Verses were retrieved from https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=faith+hope+love&qs_version=NIV
All verses used are New International Version (NIV) Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.®
Pingback: Things Paul Wrote About | Mark's Bible Study
Pingback: Things Paul Wrote On: Hope | Mark's Bible Study
Pingback: The Bible and Science – Creation Qualities #2 | Mark's Bible Study
Pingback: Three Negative Forces | Mark's Bible Study