As Jesus preached His sermons on the mounts, He said things to trigger responses from the audiences. One from the Mount of Olives was “son of man”. The Chosen series uses the phrase a lot, just as Jesus did according to the four Gospels. The Chosen, however, shows a very irate response from the Pharisees. Why was this so infuriating to them? A point for me to ponder from Tuesday of Holy Week is that Jesus did not use “son of man” on the Temple Mount. He said other things that I would label as “fighting words”-
- The Parable of the Two Sons and the landowner’s vineyard were against the religious rulers, and they knew it. Matthew 21:45-46.
- Matthew 22:18 Jesus called them hypocrites.
- 22:29-32 Jesus said they were in error and did not know the Scriptures.
- Matthew 23-the seven woes and denouncing the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law. That would include the Sadducees. Part of the woes is 23:33, where the leaders are called snakes and vipers.
Son of Man—On the Mount of Olives (Matthew 24 -26:1 NIV) Jesus refers to Himself eight times as the Son of Man. The Chosen referenced Daniel 7:13 as the verse for the son of man as the Messiah. A genuine issue with this term is that it refers to the Messiah and to sons born to women (Daniel and Ezekiel are just a few). Because of my study about the Kingdom, I came to this conclusion a while ago-The Son of God became a son of man, so that children of man can become sons of God. Because Jesus’ blood covers us, all the Father sees when He looks at us is Jesus.
This study will not have many of the types and shadows that reveal Jesus, like Joseph, carrying the wood to the sacrifice. My study of Water and Blood led me to the beginning.
- Genesis 3:15 Her (Eve) offspring will crush the head of the serpent.
- Isaiah 9:6 A child is born to us; a son was given, and the government was his. He would have the names of Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.
- Isaiah 11:1 A shoot or Branch would come from Jesse and bear fruit. The Spirit would rest upon Him.
- Psalm 80:17 The son of man that was raised up would be at the right hand of God.
- Daniel 7:13 The son of man was on the clouds of heaven being led into the presence of the Ancient of Days.
- Acts 7:56 Stephen looks up and sees heaven, with the Son of Man (Jesus) at the right hand of God. Think why the Sanhedrin was mad-Jesus and His miracles, Pentecost, and the Apostles doing miracles.
- Revelations 1:13, 12:5,14:14 All references to the son of man or male child being the ruler.
- Hebrews 2:6 is a reference to Jesus being a son of man.
- Daniel 8:17 refers to Daniel himself.
- Ezekiel has over ninety times God calls him the son of man.
- Psalm 90:3 sons of men returning to dust (by Moses).