This post is an extension of the Two Gardens post from 2019 and the Birth of a New Adam. (The link will take you to my wordpress.com post.) The “seven exchanges” are from the book Praying Grace, it is from TBN and Hillsong Church – pgs. 80 to 93. I am comparing and contrasting things in Eden with a similar event in Jesus’ gardens. In this post, some of these extend past the borders of the garden. In reality, this is also comparing Adam to Jesus (the second Adam).
- Adam was born in Eden. Jesus was resurrected (born again) in His garden.
- Adam could not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. They were removed from Eden so could not eat from the tree of life. Jesus’ tree gives us the opportunity to eat from the tree of life. We will see the tree of life again! They grow next to the river that flows from the throne in Heaven. Revelation 22: 2 adds that they produce fruit for every month of the year.
- Adam “ran” or hid from God. Jesus “ran” to God and His will.
The book Praying Grace has seven devotions that are labeled the “great exchanges”. Each “first” item is what we bring to the cross and the “second” item is what Jesus gives us to replace the problem.
- Sin for Righteousness – Adam let sin into our lives. Jesus covers our sin with His righteousness and allows us to be accepted by the Father. 2 Corinthians 5:21
- Curses for Blessings – There were curses given in Eden. There are curses that have been spoken or given to us, even though we may not have deserved them! Jesus’ blood covers those, ending them in our lives. Revelations 22:3 states that there will be no more curses. Galatians 3:13-14
- Rejection for Acceptance – Adam rejected God when he ate the fruit. Rejection is rooted in sin. When we come to Jesus and make Him Lord, we are accepted again into God’s plan. Isaiah 53:3
- Sickness for Health – “By His stripes, we are healed.” The Father has a plan for us and healthy living is part of it. Isaiah 53:5
- Shame for Glory – Adam and Eve felt shame and hid in the Garden. Shame is not something we have to live with because Jesus took our shame and covered it with His blood. Hebrews 12:2
- Poverty for Abundance – Tough times occur, but the Father has more for us than we can imagine. 2 Corinthians 8:9
- Death for Life – This is spiritual death. The Father wants us coming to Jesus and accepting Life (His way). Romans 5:12